Sunday, April 3, 2011

He Called Me By His Ex's Name

Yesterday my boyfriend and I were talking over dinner when he called me by his ex-girlfriend's name. I told him afterward that it bothered me, and he felt a little bit upset for doing it. I felt badly for bringing it up and told him I'd be over it by today. But I'm not. What should I do?
Answer
Get over it. Really, it’s not a big deal. Just be happy that he said her name over dinner, instead of in bed while you were doing it! We all embed people in our subconscious, particularly when we’ve shared an emotional relationship; it happens. Maybe you said something that triggered an emotional memory and he subconsciously called you by her name. It probably came from a positive place in his mind, so don’t make it into something it’s not. The relationship he had with her is over. Forget about it and move on. Couples who are in the happiest relationships say that they weigh the importance of daily “annoyances” by their partners and then “pick the battles” they want to fight for. This is not one of them. In every relationship, you can guarantee that there is always a new “issue” you’ll have to confront him with! Wait until it’s a more important one. Now if he called you by a man’s name, then I’d be worried!

Read more »»

0 comments: