Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dear Whys Guy: "Why Does My Husband Help Everyone Else, But Not Help Me Around the House?"

Q: Why does my husband go and help everyone else when they call, but when I need help around the house, he makes up an excuse?

A: My wife Karel feels the same way. I do this because she knows I'm a sloth, and other folks don't know just how lazy I am. If I started doing all the things Karel needed done, I'd be done sometime around the next Presidential Inauguration. So I don't do much, and she doesn't expect much in return-it's a winning situation. But when other folks call once or twice every couple of months, it's fine to go lend a hand, and then they say things like, "Aaron is so helpful, he installed my air conditioner," and, "He shoveled my walk, what a hard worker, and so handsome," or, "He chased that mean old squirrel right off my porch, how brave."

It's nice to have that kind of positive reinforcement, especially because it ain't never gonna come from Karel.
Read more »»

0 comments: